Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2012

Baking Bread from Scratch!

So I recently started baking my own bread at home for my family.  I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated at first.  I wasn't sure what type of yeast to buy, and wasn't familiar with kneading, for the most part.  But, I am a brave girl in the kitchen, so I gave it a go. I browsed one of my favorite recipe sights: Tammy's Recipes.  I opted for a whole wheat, homemade bread recipe that wasn't too scary! 

My first attempt at making the bread was....ok.  The bread wasn't as fluffy or light as I had hoped for. It was dense and cakey..like a banana bread type thing.  My loving husband ate it joyfully, but I still wanted to master this homemade bread thing. I am a bit of a perfectionist, and well, I just couldn't leave it at that.

Not willing to give up, I researched the internet as to why my bread didn't come out as fluffy as I had hoped for. Turned out... it was the kneading.  Hmmm...you mean the part I kinda didn't really follow the first time...yeah...so I should have listened to Tammy when she said knead for 15 minutes.....oops. Lesson learned, actually do what the recipe tells you. Duh.

So attempt number two...

(I find that measuring out all of my ingredients ahead of time is super helpful, and I can pretend I am on a cooking show in my head ;) )

I kneaded the bread for the full 15 minutes this time.  I floured up my table, and worked up a full on sweat! Also note, if you have a 5 year old at home, that a floured table is the most amazing thing in the world, and MUST be touched and blown at.

 But, this time...out of the oven came a beautiful, fluffy, mile high loaf of bread...thanks Tammy.

My tips for baking bread for your family:

1. Don't be afraid, it really isn't that hard, just follow the recipe...um, like I didn't do...:)
2. Knead that dough for the full time listed! Work up a sweat! (I pretend it is my exercise for the day ;)
3. Buy active dry yeast- quick rise  (I didn't like the instant)
4. Have fun trying something new. If you don't succeed, well, maybe you have a sweet husband, like I do, who doesn't mind eating your kitchen blunders :)

Happy Friday and Happy Homemaking!


1 comment:

  1. I prefer the homemade bread to the store bought stuff. Now if I could only perfect cutting it....

    ReplyDelete