Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Rag Quilt Crib Blanket

Sooo...I took a bit of a break from blogging, in case you noticed and missed me (I am hoping you did, but you probably less missed me and more my strange ramblings and how I somehow manage to talk to myself while writing)
 
I could blame my hiatus on my spring break vacation (hah!) Spring break is a crock!  Break for who? Teachers maybe.  Mine consisted of working several days, and taking off a couple to hang out with a house full of kids. Who apparently need to eat like 5 times a day..sheesh!
 
I could blame my non blogging on my new job, which is considerably busy this time of year.
 
But no, sadly, my excuse for not blogging is that I kept not finishing the project I planned to blog about. Dang procrastination and broken sewing machines. Once I got the Hubs to fix my sewing machine....again.... I was in business.  (By the way...not his fault, he actually wasn't aware it was broken, I had tried to fix it myself several times and failed.  Once I told him about it, it was only a matter of about 30 minutes and few Google searches on sewing machine jams and I was back to stitching!) Turns out you have a oil a sewing machine...pffft...I knew that....
 
But! I finally finished it.  And here it is in all its glory

The Rag Quilt Crib Blanket


I have been working on this quilt for the past YEAR.  I used this tutorial over at the fabulous Imperfect Homemaking.  Kelly makes the process very easy to follow.  However, she made hers in one frantic night before Christmas....me...well I took a little longer, like oh, a year.
 
I originally started making this quilt long before I knew of this alien growing in my belly. I had made quilts for all of my other children, and promised my husband that I would soon make him one.  Sadly for the Hubs, I discovered midway through that I was in fact knocked up, and decided this lovely quilt would make a perfect baby crib blanket.  Sorry Hubs, now ALL the children, even the unborn one have handmade blankets....I PROMISE I will make you one next........
 
Once I gave it some thought, I decided this rag quilt was perfect for our little man.  I made the squares for the quilt out of old fabric scraps that I had.  Some of the squares were cut from some of the Hubs' old shirts that he no longer cared for or didn't fit, and some of the squares are from my wedding dress.  (My wedding dress was a cream floral sundress)   I like the thought of our little man being wrapped up in something I made for him by hand, and that has little pieces of both of his parents in it.
 
Plus, I think the colors compliment my general house color scheme, and will look nice and compliment our bedding while he shares our bedroom for awhile.
 
My only tips to add to Kelly's wonderful tutorial on making this quilt are:
 
a.) when you go to fray and wash the quilt, don't put anything else in the wash with it.  If you are like me, you will try to kill two birds with one stone and chuck in a few extras. Don't do it, they will be COVERED in tiny threads.
b.) I went over my finished quilt with a sticky lint roller a few thousand times to get all the loose frayed fibers off.  Otherwise, it was covered in all the released threads from the purposefully frayed edging.
c.)  Kelly's quilt lined up just perfectly like a grid.  I could not get mine to line up that way, no matter how hard I tried.  So instead, mine is kind of a "back and forth" grid that seems pretty symmetrical, so I am ok with it.
 
The back of the quilt looks more like a traditional quilt, with no exposed and frayed seams:
 

I am so happy with it!  I had looked at baby crib bedding, and had picked some out at one of the expensive Baby Superstores.  Then, I changed my mind.  I love that I made this for my baby, and that it has little pieces of our history woven right in. If not for that wedding dress, this little man wouldn't be on his way!  I also like the idea of it being a "grown up" enough quilt that even as he gets older, it won't become too babyish for him to like and keep on his bed, even into teenage years. I also like that instead of spending $250 on commercially produced baby bedding, I spent about $ 10 on backing fabric, and about $9 on batting.  The rest of the fabric came from my scraps, and our old clothes.
 
Well, roughly 18 more weeks to go until this quilt gets to wrap up a sweet little man.  That number scares the CRAP out of me by the way. 18 weeks!!!?! Well, at least this is one more thing crossed off the old to-do list.
 
My baby shower is in a couple weeks, and I am soooo excited! My awesome Aunt and Cousin are throwing it for me, and I couldn't be more thrilled.  I promise to share all the pics and stories here.  And with my Cousin and Aunt's amazing decorating and style sense, I am sure the party will have adorable Pinterest worthy details.  (Hint: the theme is bumble bees....weee! how darling!)

{Just 18~ish more weeks to sit and patiently wait...then you will be busy little bunny and quilt :) }
 

7 comments:

  1. Aww! That pic of the bassinet with his bunny & Mommy made quilt waiting for him made me cry! If you weren't scared and apprehensive you wouldn't be normal. You are already an awesome Mom so this little man gets the best Mom ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks you! That means so much to me! He has some pretty awesome grandparents waiting on him too.

      Delete
  2. I really like that blanket Darlin. If I had a quilt made by you, I would want it to look JUST like that one... (wink, wink)

    And I agree with Kiki; you already are a wonderful mom. This kid is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya'll are gonna make this hormonal woman cry!
      Well, he has a wonderful Daddy too!

      Delete
  3. I love you Miranda! You are and will be a great Mom!..I am so happy you are my niece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too! Thank you so much for the words of encouragement

      Delete
  4. I love everything about this blanket... the story, the process, the history, the colors... It's perfect... (and to think that sweet little baby will probably just poop on it with no respect for how special it is! :)

    ReplyDelete