Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Making Butter

I had the crazy notion to make my own butter this past weekend, and I was so pleasantly surprised by the results.

First of all, it was SUPER easy, and only required a few steps. The process yielded rich, creamy, fluffy butter that tastes so pure and decadent. And, it is simple and quick enough to do while wrestling a six month old into his highchair and a six year old into his seat at the breakfast table.

You only really need one ingredient to make your own butter. Heavy cream. I added salt to my butter, because we like our salted butter in this house, but that is not required.

So ready to hear about how I sat at the butter churn all afternoon while building my tri-ceps?

Here goes:

Take your heavy cream and pour it into your blender.

Put that baby on high, and let it spin all by it's happy self for about 3-5 minutes.
It will go from "whipped cream" stage to "separating" stage. You can tell it is starting to separate because you will hear your blender start to sound like it is working harder, getting bogged down a bit, as it is now not whipping merrily through fluffy whipped cream, but chopping through more solid butter.

Once things have separated into fat and butter milk, you will need to strain out the "milk" that is left behind. I just used a rubber spatula to press out as much liquid as I could.

{Please disregard the sink full of dirty baby bottles.... I could edit them out, but you know me, I keep it real...Or I am just too lazy to edit them out, or wash them}
 
Once you have drained as much buttermilk off the butter as you can, you will need to "wash" your butter. This will whisk away any remaining buttermilk and make your butter last longer. Pour very ice cold water into your blender with the butter fat still inside. The icey water will not mix with the butter, nor melt the butter. Blend again for a few seconds. Then pour off the water and any remaining milk it has washed away.

To get as much liquid out as possible, I pressed paper towels into the bottom of the blender and allowed them to soak up any remaining moisture while I pressed the butter with the spatula to squish out any remaining milk and water.
 
At this point I folded in a teaspoon of salt, but that is just preference. Next time I am going to try to make cinnamon honey butter...yum

What you are left with is beautiful, creamy, rich butter. It is delicious, and sort of makes you feel like an empowered pioneer woman. But without the super ripped triceps from the all day butter churn.

Enjoy!




6 comments:

  1. That was definitely the best butter EVER....

    And Love, TWO bottles hardly consitutes a sinkful. Personally, I think you put the bottles in there to make the rest of us mortals feel better about our sloppy, oafish ways....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is easy, not sure why I never thought about that. I'm going to try and make some roasted garlic butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You go Miranda! I am proud of your pioneering spirit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I never would have guessed it was that easy

      Delete
  4. That is amazing! I think I'll have to make honey butter next time I make my Lavender Vanilla scones! Thanks!
    -Tiffini

    ReplyDelete